Friday, February 25, 2011

Dear Ms. Principle

Dear Ms. Principle,

Over the years as I have had new teachers and learn new things, I have realized a flaw in our educational system. Text books seem to leave out certain things that have been deemed unimportant or to graphic for high schooler student's eyes. As an educated individual surely you can see how big of a problem this is.
As young adults in high school I know we are old enough to handle graphic content. Sheltering us from things such as the Nanjing Massacre will only cause us to be ignorant. Earlier this week in class we learned about the Nanjing Massacre, however when I looked through the history texts books we have in class it was no where to be found. It seems as though this piece of history had been left our and/or forgotten. History is not meant to be edited. It is the past, we cannot change the past simply by ignoring it. Ignoring the past is actually the worst thing we could do because it leads to repetition of the same choices which leads to repetition of the same events.
Through knowledge we can make sure that history does'nt repeat itself.
Sincerely,
Gabrielle Gonzalez