Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lost In Translation


A man by the name of Voltaire once said, “History is the lie commonly agreed upon”. I personally think that history can be subjective; one person may think they are tights while the other thinks that person is a liar. When we study history we accept the facts as truth and as a group we eventually come to an agreement. Most of the events I have learned about have happened in the past before I was born so, I cannot give an accurate recollection of what occurred. The only people who are able to give accurate accounts for what occurred are those that saw the event take place. As time goes by the event has been passed on and interpreted by so many different people that we do not get the accurate information. Instead we all agree on what we have heard from these secondary sources. This is why Voltaire says “history is a lie commonly agreed upon”.